Friday, September 2, 2011

Thing #14 Zotero / Mendeley / citeulike

I really like this session of 23 things for Professional Development.  To be able to keep all your resources together like that is incredible.  I have used the tool in Word many a times where you can insert your citation and then insert your bibliography at the end of your paper.  This has always been a useful tool, but these tools are much more advanced, and much more responsive.

First of all I would like to start with the CiteULike.  I really thought this tool reminded me alot of a tool called print what you like.  This could be a very useful tool for a collaborative project, and the lack of a desktop element is great.  Here in our Library we do not have administrtive rights to download things, so this is definetely a plus.

I like Mendeley, for it's organization features.  I really felt that it is a very well thought out program, and that you can easily organize all your files to be used.  I also liked the Word compatability.  I realize that most things can be manipulated to be used in Word, but I like the co-existing that was present. 

Lastly, I was obviously unable to use the Zotero tool because of our setup, but watching the tutorial, it really looked like a Great tool as well.

Working in an academic setting I will be definetely referring students to these sites!  Although I am not writing a lot papers that need to be cited or have references, our students are!  All of these are quite useful, and now that I have background on each one, I will be able to help students decide which one will work best for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment