Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thing #13: Google Docs, Wikis and Dropbox

Of course we are working on another Google item so obviously this makes me happy!  Oh how I do love Google.  Google docs for me is a very useful tool.  I don't use it to collaborate with other people on things, but I already use Google Docs for myself.  I use Google Docs so that I can work on my projects from work at home and then save my changes when I get back into the office.

For Example:  When I am not at work, and then I suddenly think of something I should have done or something I need to do, I add it to my Things to do list! Then when I return to work I can just check my list!

I have not signed up for the dropbox, but there is a reason.  I am unable to download this to my computer at work so, really this would be quite useless for me.

The Wiki however is a very useful tool for all of us here in the library.  We use a wiki almost everyday.  We keep alot of our information there so that if any of us would need this information we are able to access it.  For Example:  We keep instructions stored there for different operations here in the library.

2 comments:

  1. I keep reading how people doing these "Things" can't download programs at work to learn about them. Must be very frustrating. Maybe I should be doing a better job of locking down our computers if this is the way it is elsewhere. Or maybe larger libraries just have more computer users coming in who would get a real kick out of messing up the libraries computers. One thing, we don't have all that many computers to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I feel that our computers give students alot of freedom. The computers are just locked up so that nothing can be downloaded. It definetely makes since, because some people have no idea what they are downloading. It says Download they click yes and boom you have a virus. Yes, it is a little frustrating not being able to download everything, but some of these projects I have had a chance to do on my personal computer and have really enjoyed them. Not a bad idea though to lock up your computers a little more. I even keep my personal computer locked up so that if I try to download anything I have to type in a password, so that I am aware that something wants me to download. Good Luck and thanks for the Comment!

    ReplyDelete