Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thing #10 and #11: Routes into Librarianship and Mentoring

My experience as a Librarian thus far is amazing.  When I was young I remember wanting to grow up to be a librarian.  I think I lost sight of this goal through the years, but apparently it was the right choice. 

I am still in my twenties, so I think I may be considered a younger librarian.  I have been a librarian for just under a year.  I went to college and received a degree as an Administrative Assistant, only to become a bartender and waitress for the next 5 years at the VFW.  I moved up to a manager and managed the VFW for about one year.  After being there for 5 years and knowing the customers rather well, I started to get a lot of comments about how well I was doing, but questions along the lines of  "is this really where I wanted to be?"  It wasn't!  I wanted to work with computers, I wanted to work with students, I wanted to learn more, and to help others!  Therefore, I did something about these feelings and found that the college in my hometown was looking for a Librarian.  This was and is the BEST decision I have ever made!  I am now a Library Information Services Assistant.  My duties mostly consists of helping students with Microsoft Office Programs such as Word, Powerpoint, Excell, and Access since I am certified in Office Technology through my Administrative Assistant Degree Program.  I have many other tasks, but this is my favorite, when I am able to assisst students when needed.
I love my postion here in the library, and being younger than well pretty much everyone I work with, makes everyone my Mentor.  I feel that here in the library, every librarian has their own expertise.  Everyone has something to add to make this library run smoothly and successfully.  I am consistently learning new things from all my fellow librarians and it is my pleasure to return the favor whenever possible. 
 :)  :)   :)   :)  :)  :)

I really liked this thing, to be able to reflect on how wonderful it is to be a librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment