Friday, July 15, 2011

Thing #5 - Reflective Practice

Twenty-three Things for Professional Development, has been an experience so far.  This crash course in updating myself with changing technologies is an excellent source of information.  I feel that in my field and in my position here at the library alot of tasks are dealt with trial and error.  Alot of my work here in the library is learning new technologies and then being able to apply them in the library or to teach them to others.

This program has definetely reminded me of things to work on like blogging, branding, and Twitter.  I really enjoyed the activity on branding, but I feel that this may involve several different attempts.  I agree with Deirdre when she blogs about thinking that reflection is easy.  It's not, but it definetely needs to done to assess your previous work and therefore to improve it.

Twitter has been my biggest challenge thus far.  I have been fighting with myself about the question of "is Twitter right for our library?".  Many librarians have noted that no it's not very useful.  Unless you have a ton of activites that are going to capture the attention of many followers it may not be right for you, but I am going to continue to make the effort of using Twitter as a marketing tool.  I am going to let everyone know about every possible detail of the library that I can get my hands on and make this work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment